compensation: $12-$14 per hour based on experience plus tips & commission employment type: part-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Nevada City Winery is looking for an experienced part-time Tasting Room Host. This individual will be a enthusiastic, outgoing, team player with a passion for hospitality. The Tasting Room is our customer's first encounter with the winery and the Host must ensure that visitors receive impeccable customer service and are left with a positive image of the winery. An upbeat attitude and exceptional customer service skills are a requirement. We are looking for individuals with sales experience who also enjoy hosting and interacting with guests and are enthusiastic about wine and the wine industry. Evening, holiday, and weekend hours are required.
Nevada City Winery is seeking one individual interested in working 25-30 hours a week including Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. On occasion, additional hours will be required for meetings, trainings, special events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following list reflects the essential functions of this job. Other tasks may be assigned from time to time.
• Greet all guests promptly and graciously and provide knowledgeable, consistent and courteous customer service. Provide responses to questions, complaints and/or problems. Ensure that all problems are resolved to the customer’s satisfaction.
• Share knowledge about all wines and merchandise in an open and friendly manner with the goal of helping customers develop enthusiasm and appreciation of our wines.
• Effectively suggest and sell wine, merchandise, and Wine Club Memberships.
• Explain and educate customers about tasting options which include sampling a flight of wines, and/or buying a glass or bottle to enjoy on the premises.
• Lead tastings by interweaving wine, viticulture, and AVA knowledge.
• Educate customers about the Nevada City Winery story, wines, and brand.
• Ensure a fun and memorable customer experience.
• Fulfill customer orders and use cash register to complete sales. Properly operate POS system and accurately enter customer transactions.
• Ability to manage flow of traffic and large groups.
• Daily tasting room operations:
o Setup/breakdown tasting room bar and outdoor patio.
o Open/close POS system and registers. Perform daily cash reconciliation.
o Open and verify condition of wines.
o Perform sales transactions and manage cash drawer.
o Maintain/stock wine inventory in tasting room and storage area.
o Ensure merchandise is stocked and tagged. Fold clothing as needed and assist in keeping merchandise neat and organized.
o Wash dishes.
o Upkeep appearance of facility ensuring an appealing and inviting tasting environment at all times (sweeping, mopping, dusting, wiping down tables, as well as trash removal, restroom cleaning, stocking, and maintenance).
• Work effectively and efficiently with other Tasting Room Hosts.
• Provide professional customer service and go the extra mile for all customers via telephone, email, and in person.
• Complete projects and other duties as assigned by the Tasting Room Manager.
• Must maintain at all times a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Answer telephone, make event reservations, schedule meetings, and assist with event planning.
• Must be able to lift/carry 50 lbs. (one case of wine).
• Must be able to stand and/or walk for extended periods of time.
• Must be at least 21 years old.
The stated duties and responsibilities in no way imply that these are the only duties to be performed. Tasting Room Hosts will be required to perform other job-related duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Must have knowledge of wine and wine industry and interest in learning more.
• Two or more years of experience in a winery hospitality setting or related luxury field preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills (telephone, e-mail, and in person).
• Demonstrated positive outgoing personality, strong customer service skills and experience.
• Must have ability to engage customers while entertaining and educating.
• Proven track record of successful sales/closing/up selling.
• Proficient with PC software including MS Word and Excel.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
• Willingness to work overtime, later shifts, weekends, and holidays on a regular basis.
• Ability to multi-task under pressure.
• Experience operating a POS system.
• Ability to reconcile sales with cash drawer.
• Ability to follow policies and procedures.
• Must possess or be willing to acquire a CA Food Handler’s License.
• Solid work experience with references.
• Versed in local restaurants and recreational options.
• High School Diploma required, College Degree preferred.
• $12-$14 per hour based on experience.
• Commission paid on Wine Club Membership sales.
Nevada City, California
Please send resume and cover letter. No phone calls or walk-ins please.
About Nevada City Winery:
Nevada City Winery is located in the historic downtown area of Nevada City, California. We opened in 1980 and are the oldest operating winery in Nevada County. We offer an award-winning selection of wines; have an onsite art gallery, gift shop, and outdoor covered patio for use by our guests. Our barrel room and production facilities are on the premises and located directly below the tasting room enabling us to offer tours and crush related events. Our gallery hosts a different local artist each month and is open to the public free of charge.
Nevada City Winery provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Nevada City Winery complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, compensation, and training.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers